Centers of Excellence
As grant-funded technical assistance providers, the eight Centers of Excellence (COE) across the state,
located strategically to study the regional economies of California, support the community
colleges by providing customized data on high growth, emerging, and economically-critical
industries and occupations and their related workforce needs.
The Center of Excellence, South Central Coast delivers regional workforce research customized
for community college decision making and resource development. The mission of the center is
to research, analyze, and present information on regional economic and workforce needs,
customized for community college decision making and curriculum planning. The work of the
COE assists administrators with program decision-making, faculty with curriculum planning, and
students with career choices by linking in-demand jobs to community college offerings.
The Centers of Excellence produce various reports and tools designed to enable community
colleges to remain relevant and responsive in their offerings. Whether you are a community
college, workforce or economic development professional, our products and our services can
assist you in your mission to support California’s businesses.
Special Reports and Program Recommendations
- Special Reports and Program Recommendations for the South Central Coast Region
- Resilient Jobs Report November 2020
Request Labor Market Information
Additional Regional Resources and Reports from COE
- Sector Analysis Overview 2020
- Career Education Guide: Sector Jobs and Wages – Report provides job listings by sector, including minimum educational attainment and wage data. Occupations identified for each sector meet specific criteria around labor market demand and have median earnings that meet the living wage.
- COE Regional Update (June 8, 2020) – COVID-19 focused update which includes Unemployment Data (National, State, Regional) and National Industry Specific Data (May 2020) supported by a look at some Regional Industry Data comparing March and April 2020.
Report Spotlight (June 2020)
- Building and Facilities Maintenance Workers – Through a collaboration with the California Community Colleges Energy, Construction, and Utilities (ECU) Sector and the University of California San Diego Extension, the Centers of Excellence for Labor Market Research (COE) conducted a survey of businesses that employ building and facilities maintenance (BFM) workers. The survey focused on three regions across California: the San Francisco Bay Area, Central Valley/Mother Lode, and the South Central Coast. Using survey results, this study examines technical and soft skills, educational attainment, work experience, and certifications that are of most value to employers hiring BFM workers. This study also provides insights into the workforce challenges and hiring difficulties that employers are encountering. The report can be found on the Centers of Excellence website: http://www.coeccc.net/Search.aspx?id=3291
If you have any questions or are interested in hard copies please contact Adele Hermann.