South Central Coast Region
HEALTH WORKFORCE INITIATIVE (South Central Coast Regional Consortium and Statewide)
Due to recommendations by the CDC, Community Colleges throughout the region and state are moving to online instruction within the next few weeks. This change is particularly a challenge for health programs as many are governed by state board and accrediting bodies which require specific direct patient contact (clinical hours) in order for students to sit for state licensing exams. HWI has been working with the CCCCO to assure communication to the board and accrediting bodies on the outcomes of student displacement from clinical environments. We are working collaboratively with these entities to ensure we are communicating the efforts to establish continued support and resources for student success. HWI State Director, John Cordova, is working diligently to provide HWI regional directors with up-to-date information so that we are able to inform our programs with uniform and consistent information. HWI, under the direction of CCCCO, is working on a statewide inventory of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) from the community college programs for the Office of Emergency Services in preparation for the dissemination of these valuable resources to help keep the health workforce safe.
Trainings and Resources
- PPE Relief Volunteers Needed: California Medical Association (CMA) is partnering with State of California Office of Emergency Services (OES) to provide free medical-grade personal protective equipment (PPE) – including N95 and surgical masks, gowns, gloves and face shields – to small and medium-sized medical practices across the state. They are in need of more volunteers for the Orange County, Los Angeles, San Diego, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Francisco, Sacramento, Santa Clara and Oakland events – but all of the events would gladly accept additional student volunteers if available. More information on locations where volunteers are needed as well as contacts click HERE
- DCA Waivers: Department of Consumer Affairs Waivers will be available on this web site as they are approved: https://www.dca.ca.gov/licensees/dca_waivers.shtml
- CA Dept. of Public Health All Facilities Letters: New AFLs released last week. Be sure to check the dates of previous AFLs for updates, i.e. AFL 20-35.1 updated 7/10/2020 https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CHCQ/LCP/Pages/LNCAFL20.aspx
- Telehealth The ASPR TRACIE COVID-19 and Telehealth Tip Sheet describes the use of telehealth and how it has changed during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- August 2020: NurseTim/Health Workforce Initiative Webinar of the Month: Academic Progression Success-A Concurrent Enrollment Partnership Between Associate and Baccalaureate Degree Programs This webinar is provided to you by Health Workforce Initiative. It includes ANCC contact hours. REMINDER: To access the webinar, you must log-in to your NurseTim.com account (see attached document for account registration) Webinar Link: Academic Progression Success-A Concurrent Enrollment Partnership Between Associate and Baccalaureate Degree Programs
- Aug 10, 2020, 09:00 AM Webinar on Gonadal Shielding. Radiologic Technology faculty across California are encouraged to attend this lecture to gain clarity regarding the recommended changes to gonadal shielding by the American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM). Webinar Registration
- August 28, 2020 Creating Dementia Capable Health Systems (Virtual Express Training): Effectively Working with Dementia Clients and their Families to Improve Care. 2 hour free training ADRD Virtual Express Training Registration Link and ADRD Virtual Express Training Pre-Test Link. BBS and BRN CEUs available.
- HealthImpact has partnered with NovEx Novice To Expert Learning to provide authentic, immersive clinical experiences to replace clinical rotations. Complete the form to REGISTER for a NovEx simulation demonstration at HealthImpact, hosted on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9:00 AM-10:00 AM Pacific time. To learn more about the NovEx Clinical Replacement courses, see a description at https://healthimpact.org/2020/03/student-nurse-clinical-rotation-novex/
- Healthcare Workforce Training Resources & Surge Strategies: The recently updated COVID-19 Healthcare Workforce Virtual Toolkit includes new content on healthcare workforce training resources, workforce surge staffing strategies, considerations for pre-hospital/EMS settings, and more.
- Friday 09/04/20, 1:00 PM-3:00 PM HWI is hosting a professional development: Culturally Responsive, Evidence-Based Practices For Engaging Communities Of Color Register Here
HWI Communities of Practice
- 8/05/2020, 8/19, & 9/02 at 10 AM CNA Community of Practice: Register in advance for this meeting: https://cccconfer.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJAkdOqsrTouEtT3PIWg7DpvtGT7tbYnWtsm
- 8/05/2020 at 12 PM Dental Assisting Community of Practice- Status Update Join Zoom Meeting
- 8/6/2020 at 3 PM Dental Hygiene Community of Practice – Join Zoom Meeting
Coping with Stress During COVID-19
- Mini Modules to Relieve Stress for Healthcare Workers Responding to COVID-19 Creating a Practical Self-Care Plan in Difficult Times is a short video that can help you create a self-care plan to minimize stress and boost resilience; check out the first module on stress management exercises.
- National Academy of Medicine: Supporting Clinician Well-Being During COVID-19 Webinar
- Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA) review of mental health apps. ADAA does a nice job of rating and breaking down various apps based on age, ease of use, effectiveness, etc.: https://adaa.org/finding-help/mobile-apps
- Coping with COVID-19: Mental Health Tips for Children and Families webinar
- The Extraordinary Kids Summit, hosted by Trish Keiller, is focused on how we can support young people as COVID-19 continues to unfold.
- Greater Good Magazine published by the Greater Good Science Center at UC Berkley has a wealth of information to help with everyday life; topics range from education, mind-body, workplace and more!
- Mental Health America Tools 2 Thrive
- Crisis Text Line USA text 741741: For assistance or to sign-up as a volunteer. Spread the word, The Frontlines Tool Kit (social media).
Please visit the HWI website https://ca-hwi.org/ for Health Workforce Initiative updates on the following:
- Clinical Placement updates from Governing Boards and Accrediting Bodies (BRN, CDPH, LVN, EMS)
- Simulation Resources
- Free online training resources (COVID-19, Telehealth, Psychological First Aid, Remote Work and Teaching Online)
- Caring for you: Mental Health resources
- Personal Protective Equipment Collection
- Executive Order to Expand Workforce
- K-12 Resources for Alternative Instruction
Or, contact SCCRC Health Sector Regional Director, Employer Engagement Irene.email@example.com
Additional Resources during COVID-19:
- Inventory for OES: INVENTORY LINK
- For HWI updates on the Corona Virus response: https://ca-hwi.org
- To report Nursing clinical displacements: Nursing Program Survey
- To report Allied Health clinical displacements: Allied Health Programs
- Onward California is a One-stop Resource for the people of California impacted by job loss during the COVID-19 Pandemic
Student Employment Opportunities:
- Hospital Association of Southern California – Priority Workforce Job Portal; Positions open for immediate hire: https://www.hasc.org/priority-workforce-job-portal
- California Health Corps – California is preparing for an increase in the number of people who urgently need health care in our communities during the COVID-19 outbreak. To meet this moment, we’re opening additional health care sites to treat people affected by COVID-19 and to relieve the pressure on our health care system by providing care for non-COVID-19 cases: https://covid19.ca.gov/healthcorps/
- Veterans Administration – More information coming; Seeking to hire nursing and allied health students: https://www.va.gov/careers-employment/
- California Medical Association needs Volunteers for “drive-through” events to distribute PPE. In an effort to ensure California physicians can continue to provide care to patients during the COVID-19 outbreak, the California Medical Association (CMA) is partnering with State of California Office of Emergency Services (OES) to provide free medical-grade personal protective equipment (PPE) – including N95 and surgical masks, gowns, gloves and face shields – to small and medium-sized medical practices across the state. More details found here
The health sector is one of the largest employers in California, providing a wide range of job options to residents of both urban and rural areas. With rapid population and expanded coverage under the healthcare reform, the demand for high-quality healthcare services is increasing. In order to provide these services, a sufficient pool of qualified workers is needed. Job seekers have an opportunity to enter and retain employment in a wide range of health occupations and skill levels. Many of these jobs provide good wages and career advancement opportunities. Developing a competent healthcare workforce across a full spectrum of occupations is crucial for the sector and economic well-being of California.
DIRECT PATIENT CARE:
- Certified Nursing Assistant Brochure
- Registered Nurse Brochure
- Vocational Nursing Brochure
- Emergency Medical Services Brochure
- Respiratory Therapist Brochure
- Medical Assisting Brochure
- Mental Health and Human Services Brochure
IMAGING AND DIAGNOSTIC:
Irene Ornelas, Regional Director
Health Workforce Initiative
805. 372. 1712